Our Pre-Physical Therapy Program provides relevant coursework to help undergraduate students prepare for a career in physical therapy and acceptance into graduate training.
The Medical University of South Carolina offers a Master of Science in Physical Therapy; admission to the program requires a Bachelor's Degree. The MUSC admissions committee reviews three important criteria in assessing potential students:
- Score on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE).
- Courses taken and grades in those courses; the higher the GPA the better, with a minimum of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Showing interest in Physical Therapy through volunteer or work experience in hospitals or similar situations where Physical Therapists are needed.
Note: MUSC requires a minimum of 100 volunteer hours.
To best prepare for application to a graduate Physical Therapy program, our students typically major in either biology or chemistry and complete the courses listed below:
- Biological Science (BIO 121, 4 hours)
- Microbiology (BIO 212, 4 hours) [or similar course]
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (BIO 215-216, 8 hours)
- General Chemistry (CHE 113-114, 8 hours)
- Precalculus (MAT 150, 4 hours)
- Applied Statistics (MAT 200, 3 hours)
- Calculus I: Differential Calculus (MAT 211, 4 hours) [physics pre-requisite]
- Physics for Science and Engineering Students (PHY 213-214, 8 hours)
- General Psychology (PSY 120, 3 hours)
- Human Growth and Development (PSY 230, 3 hours)
- Abnormal Psychology (PSY 231, 3 hours)
NOTE: Completion of the Newberry College Core Curriculum will satisfy additional admission requirements at MUSC.