Skip to Main Content Skip to Footer Links
3 males talking on campus by fountain


Student Housing FAQ’s

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Do I have to live on campus?

A: As you will quickly discover, residential living is an essential component to the Newberry Experience! Newberry College has a residency policy requiring all full-time students to live on campus.

Q: What are my housing options?

A: Newberry College has seven residence halls that offer a variety of programs that enhance the quality of life at Newberry. A description of these halls can be found on the Student Housing page or via Wolf Den on the Student Life tab.

Q: Do all freshmen live in the same residence hall?

A: As a freshman, you will have the choice of living in Brokaw or Cromer Hall, where students form life-long friendships and have easy access to academic and student support services. The Residence Life professionals and student staff members offer programs and services designed to engage students from the first day they arrive on campus.

Q: Is housing available for transfer students?

A: Yes, as a transfer student, you will have the option of living in one of the following halls designated for upperclassmen: Smeltzer, Cromer, Kinard, Walker and Oakland Mill.

Q: Can I have visitors?

A: Of course you can have visitors—and you are responsible for the behavior of your guests. Campus guests are required to follow Newberry College housing policies that can be found online in the Student Handbook and housing contract.

Q: How is my roommate selected?

A: The anticipation of a roommate is one of the most exciting parts of going to college. Your roommate may be someone you know or someone you have not met before. If you know someone you want to room with, you can indicate your preference on the online housing application. To be placed with a specific person, both parties must request one another. If you do not have a roommate request, information provided in the online housing application will be used to match roommates. 

Q: What can I bring?

A: Please refer to the Student Housing page for a complete list.

Q: Can I make a room change?

A: Room changes are based on space availability and will begin September 1 of each academic year.

Q: Are the residence halls open during scheduled breaks?

A: The residence halls will remain open during the Thanksgiving holiday but close for winter break and spring break. Oakland Mill complex does not close during breaks.

Q: What are my dining options?

A: Kaufmann Hall is the central hub for student dining. The building includes the campus dining hall, Subway, snack bar, campus bookstore and student mail center. Dopey’s, a long-time favorite campus diner, serving arguably the best burgers and milkshakes in town, is located directly behind Kaufmann Hall.

Q: What safety measures are in place for security?

A: Each student living in a residence hall will have their residence hall access pre-programmed on their Newberry College ID card. This will allow students to have swipe-card access into their residence hall. Newberry College also has security officers who are on duty 24/7 and provide services such as lockouts, escort services, and general information.

Q: Does the College insure students’ belongings?

A: The College does not insure residents’ belongings. You may want to check if your homeowner’s insurance will cover your belongings at school. Property insurance is also available from most insurance companies.

Next Steps
Give Now