Simultaneous Membership Program

Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP)

A Reserve Component (RC) soldier who is an academic junior can join the Advanced ROTC Program and earn a commission as an officer in the U.S. Army upon completing their college degree. In addition, contracted non-scholarship cadets and Reserve Forces Duty (RFD) scholarship cadets can join an RC unit and the SMP.

Advanced Course ROTC SMP students are paid for their Guard/Reserve training and receive the ROTC allowance of up to $2000 for each of their two years in the Advanced Course. Upon completing the ROTC program, the officer has an eight-year obligation, which can be served in the Reserve Forces, on Active Duty or a combination of the two.

SMP Benefits
  • Hands-on management/leadership experience and training
  • $400-$450/month ROTC stipend plus $208 per month while at drill
  • Annual training and Advanced Camp pay
  • Montgomery GI Bill and tuition waiver
  • An opportunity to win a two- or three-year GRFD scholarship
  • An opportunity to volunteer for adventure training (Airborne, Air Assault, Northern Warfare, etc.)


Q. Who is eligible to join the Simultaneous Membership Program?

A. To be eligible, you must:

  • Be enrolled in Army ROTC as an MSII or above.
  • Be a non-scholarship cadet, a recipient of the Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty (GRFD) 2-year scholarship, or recipient of a dedicated Army National Guard scholarship.
  • Be an academic sophomore (60 or more hours).
  • Be physically qualified.
  • Be under 30 years of age when commissioned (waiverable through age 34).
  • Have at least a 2.0 GPA on a 4.0 grade scale.
  • Be a full time student.
  • Be a U.S. citizen.

Q. I'm already in the Guard or Reserves, how do I enroll in SMP?

A. This is how to enroll in SMP if you are currently enlisted in the Guard or Reserves:

  • Enroll in a ROTC upper division course (MS-III or MS-IV, if currently a cadet).
  • ROTC will send the appropriate paperwork to your unit (your pay grade will automatically become E-5 unless you are drilling in a higher pay grade already).
  • Continue drilling with your current unit or change to another unit of choice.

Q. I'm not currently in a Guard/Reserve unit, how do I enroll in SMP?

A. This is how to enroll in SMP if you are not currently enlisted in the Guard or Reserves:

  • Register for Advanced ROTC classes (MS-III or MS-IV).
  • Interview with the ROTC cadre concerning SMP job selection.
  • Meet with Guard/Reserve Recruiter.
  • Take an aptitude test and physical examination.
  • Sign the Guard/Reserve enlistment contract.
  • Begin drilling with your selected unit.

NOTE: If you have successfully completed the MS I and MS II years (Basic Course), you are not required to complete Basic Training as an SMP cadet.

Simultaneous Membership Program