Your Career Path
The Department of Arts and Communications teaches marketable skills useful for graduates in any field of study. Students from associated majors whose future careers will require proficiency in art, graphic design, public speaking, performance, or the practice of persuasive communication will benefit from departmental involvement. Our programs will prepare you for a broad range of careers.
People in all societies have for all time created art in order to understand the world, to document the world, and to change the world. Most of what we know of history, experiences, and evolution of humanity, we have gathered from the study of art, architecture, and artifacts. From cave paintings to Gothic cathedrals to computer imaging, art has defined and will continue to define humanity. The Art curriculum at Newberry College is designed to prepare students to understand and accept the challenges of the past, embrace the present, and approach the future with integrity, insight, confidence, and skill.
Study Abroad in Italy
Insight, confidence, skill, and - just as important - an empathic understanding of the world, are further enhanced through Studies Abroad. The Newberry College Visual Arts Program has, with no exception, the best studies abroad opportunity in the nation through an articulation agreement with the University of Georgia Studies Abroad Program in Cortona, Italy. Students that opt to spend a full semester on campus in Cortona, Italy, in the heart of Tuscany, simply pay regular tuition at Newberry College. Students will travel to Rome, Venice, Florence, Milan, London, and more while working with internationally known artists and art historians.
Show Your Work
The undergraduate thesis requirement for Studio Art majors consists of an exhibition of student work in the Wessels Library Gallery, the creation of a professional portfolio, a reception for the student artist, and a student gallery talk.
With years of experience teaching and mentoring young artists, the Visual Arts faculty have placed students in graduate programs including Chicago Institute of Art, UCLA, University of Tennessee, Clemson University, Savannah College of Art and Design, and others. In addition, many more students are teaching in the public school systems throughout the southeast, and still others are working, exhibiting artists.
Art Program Learning Outcomes:
1. The BA candidate in Studio Art will select and develop themes, problems, issues, and techniques through study, research, and exploration utilizing a variety of appropriate sources.
2. The BA candidate in Studio Art will demonstrate the knowledge and skills pertaining to visual language, structures, and forms.
3. The BA in Studio Art will be able to create artwork that clearly address the student’s written artist’s statement.
4. Students completing the BA in Visual Arts will be able to explore and develop a body of artwork that has a consistent theme or motif.
5. The student will produce a body of artwork that will be professionally documented and exhibited in a public location as his/her Senior Exit Exhibition.
View program details
As a communications student, you will have access to hands-on learning from day one, whether it's working in the television studio, the College's radio station, WNIR-LP FM, or writing real-world articles for the local newspaper, The Newberry Observer. You'll gain the skills and experience necessary to become a well-rounded communications professional, able to work across industries and in a variety of media.
Later in your Newberry career, you'll have the opportunity to pursue an internship, where you'll gain valuable real-world experience with media firms large and small, and build valuable contacts that could lead to your first big break.
Our students have worked with television stations in all three nearby television markets (Columbia, Greenville/Spartanburg and Augusta). Within the last decade, four of our students have been selected for prestigious summer internships with South Carolina Educational Television. Students have also enjoyed immersive learning experiences with CNN, Disney and other national and international firms.
Public Relations & Advertising
View program details
Grounded in a liberal arts environment, the Digital Marketing program is an interdisciplinary mix of courses in Business Administration, E-Commerce, Communications, Graphic Design, and Social Media designed for a rapidly-growing, worldwide field. Digital Marketing students learn how to apply marketing principles and create effective marketing strategies to promote goods and services across Internet platforms and other electronic mediums. Students will learn how to use search engine analytics and optimization to maximize client exposure over a variety of digital media venues.
Digital Marketing (BS)
View program details
At Newberry College you will learn design which will include the way fonts and images are used to make visual statements. The graphic design program has a state-of-the-art computer lab that allows students to use both technology and creativity to develop the best possible portfolios. Students work on Apple computers with Adobe software. Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, and Wordpress are all used to design students' projects.
In addition, students will take studio art classes such as painting, drawing, and sculpture in large studios to better learn about composition, color, and aesthetics. The department is equipped with several digital cameras, two large color printers, and other equipment that will assist the student in achieving their design goals.
Internships are integral parts of an education. Graphic design students are encouraged to intern during the semester or over the summer. Assistance is given for those that need help obtaining an internship.
Internship placements in the past have included:
- SC State Museum
- Columbia Metropolitan Magazine, Newberry Magazine
- Greenville News
- Newberry Observer
- Newberry Opera House
- Advertising Agencies in Columbia, Greenville, and Charlotte
- Newberry Hospital
- Dennis Corporation
- Newberry College
- The Augusta GreenJackets
Graphic Design Program Learning Outcomes:
- Students will design a professional portfolio that meets industry standards and takes into account each student's identifying area of specialization.
- Students will develop skills to lead and participate in client meetings and will conduct themselves professionally.
- Students' technical abilities will increase using “high tech” and “low tech” tools and materials including various hardware, software, and applications to design and produce graphic works.
- Students will develop skills in budgeting and time management.
- Students will demonstrate ethical responsibility to clients to include treating them fairly and respecting their uniqueness; respecting their fundamental rights, dignity, and worth; and their right to set objectives and make decisions.
- Students will maintain appropriate relationship boundaries, never exploiting the relationship in any way, clarify the specific roles of clients, protect all privileged information, and obtain informed client consent before using or referring publicly to client information in such a way that the client could be identified.
View program details
The Speech and Theatre program prepares students for successful academic careers, vocations, and the ability to make a positive artistic impact on their communities. Program graduates leave with greater proficiency in public speaking, oral communication, performance and the practice of persuasion, along with technical skills that meet the demands of a contemporary world.
A minor in speech or theatre would serve as a well-rounded complement any major, particularly those in liberal arts.
Theatre (B.A.) -- Opportunities in Acting, Directing andTechnical Theatre
View program details
- Zero Gravity
- Newberry Art Center
- Bounce TV Channel
- DeAbrew Modeling Agency
- Art Center of Sarasota, FL
- The Fern Theatre Company
- Coastal Federal Credit Union
- Studio 151 Fine Arts
- WVLT-TV Knoxville
- Laurens School District
- South Carolina Department of Mental Health
- WAFF-TV Huntsville
- EMILY: Revolutionary Marketing Group
- Cartoon Network
- Medical University of South Carolina
- RYP Productions Unlimited